Last revised: 30 March 2022
Name of the Award
The EMS Silver Medal
Eligibility and Decision Process
The EMS Silver Medal is presented annually to a person who has made distinguished contributions to the development of meteorology in Europe.
Criteria used in the evaluation of the nominated candidates are given below. All three are important in the evaluation process:
- Service to the European meteorological community (i.e. academic activity, leadership in relevant national and international organisations, serving as editor of relevant regular publications such as journals etc.)
- Outstanding contributions to increase and enhance the public understanding of relevant meteorological aspects and issues (i.e. communications on climate issues, publication of relevant books addressing wider circles of our society, activity on the media, organisation and steering of educational and training projects, etc.)
- Scientific contributions to meteorology and related fields (i.e. scientific achievements with international recognition, relevant publications, scientific leadership and management, etc.)
Candidates may be proposed to the Awards Committee by
- EMS Member Societies,
- EMS Associate Members,
- EMS Committees and Project Teams, or
- EMS Council members.
Nominations of female candidates are accepted in uneven years, nominations of male candidates in even years.
Nominations must be written in the English language and submitted electronically as pdf-file(s). Any nomination has to include:
- A Curriculum Vitae of the nominee, including contact details. Please restrict a publication list to two pages with the most relevant publications highlighted.
- A statement that explains the achievements and contributions of the nominee to the development of meteorology in Europe, addressing all three criteria detailed above.
- Two support letters by relevant experts in the field (more than 2 are not accepted), also addressing all three criteria.
- A proposal for a citation of 30 words or less (condensed summary of the achievements to be used for the announcement of the recipient).
Forwarding of non-selected nominations
The EMS Council approved at its Session in September 2015 that nominations that were not selected for the Award can be forwarded once to be considered again for the award in the following year.
Recommendation and selection process
The Awards Committee develops recommendations of one or more candidates for the EMS Silver Medal for the EMS Council. The EMS Council approves a candidate at its spring meeting each year.
The Laureate receives a medal that is presented during the EMS Annual Meeting. Travel expenses of the Laureate to attend the EMS Annual Meeting will be covered by the EMS (Awards budget). The Laureate is invited to give a “Silver Medal Lecture”.