The deadline to submit nominations for the EMS Silver Medal 2018 has expired. The Silver Medalist will be selected by the EMS Council at its Session in April.
Nominations for the EMS Silver Medal 2018 are now invited.
EMS Member Societies and Associate Members, EMS Committees and Project Teams through their respective chairs, and EMS Council representatives are eligible to make nominations.
Deadline: 31 January 2018
The EMS invites EMS Member Societies, EMS Associate Members, EMS Committees and Project Teams, and EMS Council representatives to make nominations for the Silver Medal 2018.
Criteria used in the evaluation of the nominated candidates are given below. All three are of equal importance in the evaluation process.
- Service to the European meteorological community (i.e. academic activity, leadership in relevant national and international organisations, serving as editor of relevant regular publications such as journals etc.)
- Outstanding contributions to increase and enhance the public understanding of relevant meteorological aspects and issues (i.e. communications on climate issues, publication of relevant books addressing wider circles of our society, activity on the media, organisation and steering of educational and training projects, etc.)
- Scientific contributions to meteorology and related fields (i.e. scientific achievements with international recognition, relevant publications, scientific leadership and management, etc.)
Nominations and Deadline
Nominations must be written in the English language and submitted electronically as pdf-file(s).
Any nomination has to include:
- A Curriculum Vitae of the nominee, including contact details.
Please restrict a publication list to two pages with the most relevant publications highlighted.
- A statement that explains the achievements and contributions of the nominee to the development of meteorology in Europe, addressing all three criteria detailed above.
- Two support letters by relevant experts in the field (more than 2 are not accepted), also addressing all three criteria.
- A proposal for a citation of 30 words or less.
EMS Member Societies, EMS Associate Members, EMS Committees and Project Teams through their respective chairs, and EMS Council representatives are eligible to make nominations.
Please submit any nomination to email@example.com by Wednesday, 31 January 2018.
Forwarding of non-selected nominations
The EMS Council approved at its Session in September 2015 that nominations that were not selected for the Award can be forwarded once to be considered again for the award in the following year (i.e. for the Silver Medal 2019).
The Silver Medal will be presented to the selected awardee during the EMS Annual Meeting in Budapest, Hungary, 3 – 7 September 2018.