Terms of Reference EMS Communicating Weather & Climate Award
Name and Scope of the Award
The EMS Communicating Weather & Climate Award
The EMS Communicating Weather & Climate Award is given annually to honour outstanding and long-term communication activity by an individual in the field of meteorology / climatology (normally at least 5 years) in any media outlet, or combination of outlets, including radio, television, film, newspaper, magazine, social media, and online. Submissions in a language other than English are welcomed but must be accompanied by translated text or subtitles in a video. The award is given annually and only one recipient is selected each year.
The award is normally presented during the EMS Annual Meeting, and the laureate highlighted on the EMS website Best Practice section.
Any individual having shown long-term activity in media outlets and demonstrated best practices in communication of meteorology and climate science to the general public over the period of several years qualifies as a nominee for the EMS Communicating Weather & Climate Award.
Candidates may be proposed by:
- Individual members of the EMS Council and the Media and Communication Committee.
- EMS Member Societies and EMS Associate Members.
- Individual members of the EMS Member Societies.
- Self-nominations are allowed and highly encouraged.
The documentation required for the proposal consists of the following:
- A letter of no more than one page explaining the contents, context, and impact of the submitted work.
- URLs of published or broadcasted materials. If a URL is not fully and freely accessible, then the material must be submitted in portable document format (PDF). At least three samples of their work produced during and spanning the last five years. Samples can be from traditional and/or social media in the format of video clips, blogs, articles etc.
- A short professional CV that demonstrates the applicant’s active role in the communication of weather and/or climate information.
- A proposal for the Award citation (limit of 25 words).
- Translated text or subtitles (in case of video submission) for any material in a language other than English.
The selection committee consists of the members of the EMS Media and Communication Committee. The work of the committee is normally carried out through e-mail and, where necessary, online meetings.
The laureate receives a trophy and is invited to the EMS Annual Meeting in particular as a special guest of the Communication and media Session; travel expenses of the laureate to attend the EMS Annual Meeting will be covered by the EMS.
The laureates are required to:
- Show the samples of products during the EMS Annual Meeting,
- include a description of the samples of work on the EMS internet site as example of good practice in communicating meteorology/climatology topics to interested public.