On 17 February 2016 the Portuguese Association of Meteorology and Geophysics (APMG) has elected Olavo Rasquinho as its new President. He succeeds Luis Pessanha. Sílvia Antunes continues as General Secretary of the Society.
Mr. Olavo Rasquinho retired recently from his position as Secretary of the UNESCAP/ WMO Typhoon Committee, whose headquarters are in Macao, China. During the Portuguese administration he also was Director of the Macao Meteorological and Geophysical Bureau (1996-1998).
In Portugal, he performed functions in the Portuguese Institute of Meteorology and Geophysics as head of the International Affairs Division, head of the Meteorological Watching Office of the Lisbon International Airport and head of the Weather Analysis and Forecasting Center.
He also performed functions as WMO and ICAO expert in several missions in Angola, Mozambique, Dominican Republic and Guinea Bissau.
Details on his career:
- Secretary of the UN ESCAP-WMO Typhoon Committee (Feb. 2007-Apr. 2015)
- Head of the Task Force of the UN ESCAP/WMO Typhoon Committee project Synergized Standard Operating Procedures for Coastal Multi-Hazards Early Warning Systems-SSOP (2013-2015)
- Head of the International Relations of Institute of Meteorology of Portugal (1998-2004)
- EU expert in Mozambique – Co-author of the “Plano para o Reforço das Capacidades Institucionais e Técnicas do Instituto de Meteorologia de Moçambique – INAM” (“Plan for Strengthening the Technical and Institutional Capacity of the Mozambique Institute of Meteorology”) – December 2001
- Director of Macao Meteorological and Geophysical Bureau and Permanent Representative of Macao with WMO (1996-1998)
- Head of Meteorological Watching Office – Lisbon International Airport (1990-1995)
- Head of the Weather Analysis and Forecasting Center of Lisbon (1985-1990)
- WMO Training Expert in Angola (1982-1985)
- ICAO expert in several missions in Angola, Mozambique and Guinea-Bissau
- Associate Professor / Nautical College (Escola Náutica Infante D. Henrique – Lisbon)