Research Assistant in Atmospheric sciences
Cyprus Institute (CyI), Nicosia, Cyprus
Closing date: 26 July 2019
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a non-profit research and educational institution with a strong scientific and technological orientation, emphasizing international collaborations, cross-disciplinary research, innovation, and post graduate education. CyI, through its established research centers, addresses challenging issues that are important at both the regional and international levels. Many of its research activities are being carried out in partnership with leading institutions in the respective thematic areas.
CyI is currently under preparation for erecting a fully functional Baseline Surface Radiation Network (BSRN) station at the PROTEAS facility at Pentakomo, and aims to be established as a full member of the BSRN network. The Baseline Surface Radiation Network (BSRN) is a radiometric network initiated by the World Climate Research Programme (WCRP) to support the climate research by providing validation material for satellite radiometry and climate models. The objective of the BSRN is to provide observations of the best possible quality for short and long-wave surface radiation fluxes with a high sampling rate, which are believed to play an important role in climate change modelling.
These measurements will enhance of the observational capacity of the Cyprus Atmospheric Observatory (CAO; http://www.cyi.ac.cy/index.php/cao.html) which is a network of environmental stations, operating since 2015. It is currently part of ACTRIS, AERONET, GAW, TCCON and EMEP international networks and has attracted scientists from several European institutions conducting research on ambient gas and aerosol science and technology.
The CAO gathers the latest instrumentation for online monitoring of aerosol chemical composition and optical properties in combination with analysis of greenhouse gaseous species following international, standardized operating procedures in compliance with ACTRIS and GAW protocols.
The CyI invites applications for a Research Assistant for the operation of CAO and the operation and Quality Assurance of the PROTEAS’ BSRN station on a full-time basis. The successful candidate will support research programs in environmental/atmospheric applications with interest and focus on the physical-chemical characterization of fine particulate matter. S/he will be a member of a dynamic team composed by international researchers investigating the role of aerosols in climate and air quality and energy applications targeted to the energy transition to a decarbonized energy future. The selected candidate will be involved in (a) collaboration with the Department of Labour Inspection (DLI, Ministry of Labour, Welfare, and Social Insurance) which is leading the Cyprus Air Quality network (b) the RPF AQ-SERVE project focusing on the integration of state-of-the-art European ground-based stations for long-term observations of aerosols, clouds and short-lived gases.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the scheduled maintenance of CAO equipment, daily operation of CAO, including handling of environmental samples and logistics of stock (consumables). Additionally, the successful candidate will be trained by CyI’s expert teams through hands-on activities/practices to obtain technical skills that are necessary to quality control the archive produced, following ACTRIS protocols.
In addition, the successful candidate will act as the PROTEAS’ BSRN station scientist and will be responsible for adopting and long-term preserving of the BSRN operational practices in terms of data acquisition, data management, data archiving and data quality assurance.
The successful candidate will be carrying out the following activities:
- Responsible for the daily operation of CAO (maintenance, calibration, international intercomparison studies)
- Quality control of the CAO archive
- Logistics support to the Atmospheric Monitoring group (consumables, stock, inventory)
- Support of research activities within the CyI/EEWRC/Atmosphere Group (e.g TCCON station)
- Participation in the field intensive campaigns of the Institute
- Responsible for the daily operation of the PROTEAS’ BSRN station.
- Performing data reduction procedures according to BSRN standards
- Performing Quality Assurance techniques in terms of signal redundancy, visual and thorough inspection of data, data conversion and manipulation e.t.c
- Data submission of BSRN data (in monthly blocks) to the international BSRN archive
- Scheduling of the daily, weekly, monthly, six-monthly and annual maintenance of the station’s hardware and software and supervising the maintenance on site at least once per week.
- Communicating the BSRN data among the EEWRC divisions when requested
- PhD in Experimental Atmospheric Sciences
- Basic knowledge of environmental physics and chemistry
- At least one (1) year of previous relevant experience
- At least one (1) year of experience of experimental work in an environmental laboratory
- Knowledge of programming (Matlab and/or Igor)
- Experience in data acquisition systems (DAQ) and signal post processing
- Driving license (mandatory)
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- High interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team
- Excellent knowledge of the English language both verbal and in writing. Knowledge of the Greek language will be considered an advantage
- Data Quality Assurance and management
For full consideration, interested applicants should process their application at The Cyprus Institute JobBoard (http://jobboard.cyi.ac.cy/) based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae including a letter of interest and a list of three references (including contact information) (all documentation should be in English and in PDF Format). For further information, please contact Prof Jean Sciare, (email@example.com). Please note that applications which do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.
Reference letters: 3
Contact person: Prof Jean Sciare
Reference number: EEWRC_RA_19_05