Postdoctoral Scientist in the field of land-atmosphere interactions
Max Planck Institute for Meteorology (MPI-M), Hamburg, Germany
Closing date: 01 June 2019
The Max Planck Institute for Meteorology (MPI-M) is a multidisciplinary centre for climate research located in Hamburg, Germany. It has an internationally recognised reputation in climate modelling. The MPI-M is located in the heart of one of Europe’s most liveable and vibrant cities. It provides a highly international and interdisciplinary environment for conducting scientific research as well as access to state-of-the-art scientific facilities.
In the departments /The Land in the Earth System/ and /The Atmosphere in the Earth System/ MPI-M is looking for a Postdoctoral Scientist (W061) to conduct research on land-atmosphere interactions. The successful candidate will investigate interactions between vegetation and moist convection in idealized simulations of the coupled land-atmosphere system. An idealized framework of radiative-convective equilibrium (RCE) will be used. As a unique feature, the simulations will both use dynamic vegetation and horizontal resolution fine enough so as to explicitly represent convection in the atmosphere. The candidate will thus pioneer the use of a new class of storm-resolving models that will also include dynamical vegetation feedbacks on the climate. The candidate will work jointly with scientists both in the department /The Land in the Earth System/ as well as in the department /The Atmosphere in the Earth System/.
- Couple the JSBACH land surface model to the storm-resolving model version of the ICON mode.
- Conduct RCE simulations using that set-up and analyze the results. There is freedom for the candidate to define his/her own specific research questions under this umbrella.
- Disseminate the results through high quality peer-review publications and presentations at conferences.
- A PhD in applied mathematics, meteorology, oceanography, physics, or a
related field is required for this position.
- Outstanding computational/technical skills.
- Previous experience in climate science and in atmospheric/vegetation modelling is of advantage.
- Ability to effectively communicate the results within the project and to outside colleagues as well as the ability to publish in international journals, the latter demonstrated by at least one first author publication in a recognized scientific journal.
- The position is offered for 3 years.
- Payment will be in accordance with German public service positions (TVoeD E14), including extensive social security plans. The conditions of employment, including upgrades and duration, follow the rules of the Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Sciences and those of the German civil service.
- The Max Planck Society strives for gender and diversity equality. MPI-M welcomes applications from all backgrounds.
- Handicapped persons with comparable qualifications receive preferential status.
Candidates will be evaluated based on their qualifications and ability to fulfill the responsibilities as outlined for this project.
How to submit your application for this post
- A cover letter including a short statement presenting your research outlook
- A detailed curriculum vitae incl. a list of publications
- The names, addresses, and telephone numbers of two referees
by uploading the documents in our online application system:
Deadline for applying
Applications received prior to 1 June 2019 will receive full consideration, but the positions will remain open until filled.
Do not forward your application to this email address; the applications need to be submitted through the online application system (see link above).