PhD positions in the fields of regional climate, complex nonlinear systems, stratospheric trends & large eddy simulation
Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Closing date: 1 December 2021
Four funded Ph.D. positions with four years contract are opening at the Department of Atmospheric Physics at Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic.
The projects aim at
- Local precipitation responses to large-scale teleconnections in the climate system
- Interactions and causality in spatial and temporal scales of atmospheric dynamics
- Analysis and identification of conditions for the occurrence of sudden stratospheric warmings
- Atmospheric contaminant dispersion in built-up areas in complex atmospheric conditions
Ph.D. candidates will be funded partly from the mentioned projects and partly as a regular monthly stipend with about 1000-1500 EUR/month total income (the stipendium is gradually increased during the study). For more details, please see https://www.mff.cuni.cz/en/physicsphd/f8/phd-projects-funding.
- Master-of-Science-equivalent degree in meteorology and/or environmental physics with fulfilled courses related to the research projects.
- The candidate should have good experience in Unix / Linux working environments and programming skills in Python and/or other programming languages.
- Strong communication in the English language (spoken and written).
In case of interest, please see https://www.mff.cuni.cz/en/physicsphd/f8/application and send your application by 1 December 2021 to email@example.com, including:
- Academic CV and a pdf of your diplomas including (link to the) the diploma thesis
- List of course topics related to meteorology, air quality, climate modelling or atmospheric physics
- Specification of programming and language skills
- List of publications (if any)
- List of research projects (if any)
- Statement of research interests and career goals, indicating why you are interested in the position
- Two letters of recommendation
- Date of expected award of MSc degree in case of unfinished MSc studies
- 5 December 2021 – announcement of successful applications
- 10 December 2021 – deadline for the submission of the applications for the Ph.D. studies
- 1 March 2022 – beginning of the doctoral studies.
The start of the employment is guaranteed by this date for EU candidates only. For non-EU candidates, it is necessary to arrange a proper visa, which may take up to several months depending on the country of the candidate’s origin.