EUMETSAT – Communication and Network Operations Engineer
EUMETSAT, Darmstadt, Germany
Closing date: 23 March 2020
EUMETSAT is Europe’s meteorological satellite agency – monitoring the weather and climate from space – 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
This is your chance to contribute to a world leading earth observation programme, set to generate global weather forecasting and climate monitoring benefits. As a Communication and Network Operations Engineer you will be at the heart of ensuring all elements of this complex network work together to support real-time, end-to-end mission operations. This includes internal and external communications networks, operational infrastructure, security, as well as interfacing with the Communications and Networks engineering team within the Technical & Scientific Support (TSS) Department. The post supports the routine operations phases of the current mission systems, as well as the preparation for future missions.
- Ensure continued effective operations, coordinating maintenance and evolution activities within the operations networks, while maintaining 24/7 operational availability;
- Liaison and coordination with the ground segment and system operations teams to ensure the continuity and optimisation of mission operations from a communications and network operations perspective (through procedure and operations guide updates, configuration changes, database or user interface changes etc.);
- Support the communications systems upgrades and evolutions, including review of the design documentation, and participation in Change Review Boards;
- Support the functional verification and perform the operational validation of operational communications and network upgrades and evolutions, both standalone and in the context of an overall ground segment.
- Plan and co-ordinate changes to external entities and partners systems to support evolutions of the existing connectivity;
- Provision of support to operational security issues, relating to the networks and communications;
- Processing and coordination of communications and network related system anomalies, their documentation, investigation, classification and resolution/mitigation, including participation in Anomaly Review Boards;
- Coordination with external entities and partners to analyse and resolve issues related to the communications networks between them;
- Definition and maintenance of system and ground segment procedures and operations guides for communications and networks operations;
What EUMETSAT offers
- Generous salary, of up to Euro 7,500 month NET (after income tax) based on skills and experience
- Flexible working time including additional flexi-leave
- Excellent medical
- coverage for employee and family
- Attractive pension30 days of annual leave + 14.5 days public holidays
- Training and development support
- Relocation allowance and support (if applicable)
Skills and Experience
- Solid practical experience of Communications and Network Operations in a 24/7 real-time operations environment
- Experience of defining, development, integration, acceptance testing and operation of communications and network systems;
- Experience of Communications and Network (Operations) Security;
- Practical experience of operation of Cisco or equivalent networks, WANs / LANs and demonstrated end-to-end systems knowledge.
- Experience of Voice Loop Systems (VLS) would be an advantage;
- Experience of management of technical teams or coordination of technical tasks would be an advantage;
- Strong analysis, synthesis and presentation skills;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, and proven ability to apply these to working within and across teams.
A relevant University degree in Computer Information Systems, Computer Science, Network Engineering, or equivalent relevant experience gained in a Network Engineering role.
- Visit the EUMETSAT website for more information and how to apply