ECMWF – Senior Scientific Officer – Sectoral Information System of Copernicus Climate Change Service
ECMWF, Shinfield Park, Reading, UK
Closing date: 10 October 2019
The position is to lead the technical and scientific implementation of the Sectoral Information System (SIS) function of Copernicus Climate Change Service (C3S).
The SIS function is one of the main components of the C3S architecture and is designed to develop and deliver sector specific demonstrators built on the data and tools made available by Copernicus. Such demonstrators, which cover all the sectors mentioned in the Delegation Agreement with the European Commission, such as energy, water management, health, agriculture, etc., are required to be developed to the highest standard to act as a benchmark of quality for any downstream climate service developers.
Leading a small team of scientists, she or he will be responsible for ensuring that the SIS function delivers scientific and technical excellence that is aligned with the needs of the relevant sectors.
ECMWF is issuing competitive calls to procure most elements of the C3S operational service components including the SIS function and therefore a significant part of the role will involve the management of the relevant procurement contracts. Therefore, they will also work closely with the Procurement Team, who are responsible for the implementation of the tendering process.
Main duties and key responsibilities
- Leading the implementation of the Sectoral Information System
- Supporting the development of a strategic vision on how the programme should evolve to ensure the needs of the users are addressed by the SIS function
- Setting the overall architecture of the SIS functional blocks including technical specification and scope of work to be procured externally
- Leading on the scientific and technical negotiations of new SIS contracts
- Overseeing the technical implementation of the SIS contracts and ensure that -whenever possible and practical state-of-the-art approaches are adopted in such contracts
- Ensuring best scientific practice is followed in all SIS activities
- Reviewing and approving deliverables and quarterly reports for the SIS contracts
- Ensuring alignment between the SIS contracts and the overall aims of the C3S programme
- Line managing members of the SIS team.
- Contributing to the planning and reporting cycle of ECMWF for the European Commission by providing input to documentation, including any key performance indicators based on contributions from external suppliers
- Supporting the Copernicus management team with interactions with the European Commission and its agencies on relevant activities
The successful candidate will be recruited at the A3 grade, according to the scales of the Co-ordinated Organisations and the annual basic salary will be £73,083.12 net of tax. This position is assigned to the employment category STF-PS as defined in the Staff Regulations.
Full details of salary scales and allowances are available on the ECMWF website at www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs, including the Centre’s Staff Regulations regarding the terms and conditions of employment.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Length of contract: To 30 September 2021, with the possibility of extension subject to continuation of funding by the Copernicus programme.