ECMWF – Scientific Python Developer/Engineer
ECMWF, Shinfield Park, Reading, UK
Closing date: 30 April 2020
ECMWF is looking to establish an “Innovation Platform” aiming to foster a systematic change in the way the organisation embraces and increases the pace of innovation. This will be achieved by supporting and complementing the existing expertise across ECMWF, by offering an environment to facilitate collaborations and knowledge sharing and by providing the necessary infrastructure to experiment with new ideas.
In this context, ECMWF is looking for a Scientific Python Developer/Engineer to help design and implement new facilities to establish the Innovation Platform.
The successful candidate will work with various teams across the organisation to initially setup a JupyterHub service that will provide internal users with a complete stack of Python scientific libraries, as well as efficient access to ECMWF data holdings that includes a data archive with more than 260 petabytes of primary data. This service will be used to explore data analytics and machine learning algorithms to analyse ECMWF data.
Main duties and key responsibilities
- Deploying and maintaining a JupyterHub installation that will be used by researchers from ECMWF and its Member States and Cooperating States, supporting all the standard Python scientific libraries, and providing access to ECMWF’s data
- Supporting researchers when they are starting to use the platform and introduce the software framework and guidance on tools and methods that can be exploited
- Assembling a list of reference datasets in support of Machine Learning activities and acting as a custodian for these datasets
- Providing and maintaining all necessary documentation to ensure an efficient use of this facility
- Assisting in other activities related to the Innovation Platform
The successful candidate will be recruited at the A2 grade, according to the scales of the Co-ordinated Organisations and the annual basic salary will be £60,590.64 net of tax. This position is assigned to the employment category STF-C as defined in the Staff Regulations.
Full details of salary scales and allowances are available on the ECMWF website at www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs, including the Centre’s Staff Regulations regarding the terms and conditions of employment.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Length of contract: Four years, with the possibility of a further contract.