ECMWF – Production Analyst – environmental applications forecasts
ECMWF, Shinfield Park, Reading, UK
Closing date: 1 October 2019
The focus of the position will be the development and maintenance of technical infrastructures needed for the development/testing and production phases of issuing environmental forecasts, currently related to floods and fire, but this could expand into other natural hazards in the future. The current set-up for the flood application relies on two parallel suites being deployed, one as testing environment when new developments are made, the other for the operationalisation and production of forecasts. A similar set-up is in place for the fire forecast application.
This role calls for an Analyst with a strong background in an operational environment. It requires someone with strong technical skills and problem solving capabilities able to adapt to changing priorities as provided by an evolving system.
The post-holder will play a key role in the transition of scientific development into operational production. This will require close engagement will both scientists and operators to understand the workflow associated with the forecast production and offer technical solutions related to code-refactoring, job-scheduling, parallelisation, time efficiency and modularity. The role will involve development and maintenance of state-of-the art suites with the ECMWF operational infrastructure, including documentation, training and operational support to the flood and fire forecast systems.
This position is assigned to the Integration Team in the Production Section of the Forecast Department and he or she will report to the Environmental Forecast Team Leader and the Fire Forecast Principal Scientist on all specific activities related to the development of CEMS-Floods and EFFIS operational platforms.
Main duties and key responsibilities
- Updating forecasting systemContributing to the development of operational systems for environmental forecast applications, taking into consideration user requirements and operational constraints
- Ensuring all developments are compatible with operations and have appropriate levels of optimisation and reliability
- Monitoring the progress and performance of the suites and solving problems as they arise, using operational tools, procedures and internal expertise; this can include on-call support out of office hours
- Supporting the team in other tasks related to the operational production systems
- Contributing to documentation and training of users of the test and production suites for the environmental forecast applications
The successful candidate will be recruited at the A2 grade, according to the scales of the Co-ordinated Organisations and the annual basic salary will be £59,228.40 net of tax. This position is assigned to the employment category STF-PS as defined in the Staff Regulations.
Full details of salary scales and allowances are available on the ECMWF website at www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs, including the Centre’s Staff Regulations regarding the terms and conditions of employment.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Length of contract: Until 31 August 2021, with possibility for extension.