ECMWF – Openstack Cloud Engineer
ECMWF, Shinfield Park, Reading, UK
Closing date: 15 April 2019
Summary of the role
ECMWF is beginning a multi-million-pound project to build a new service for Member States, based on Cloud Computing technologies, to offer generic computer services local to the large data archive in our own data centre. To support this exciting area of growth, ECMWF is now looking to recruit a Cloud Engineer to enhance existing capability and to build this “European Weather Cloud” service.
The successful candidate will have experience of both the deployment and configuration of OpenStack platforms and associated technologies, and will be involved in the design, deployment, and daily operations of a unique platform that is focused on the needs of the Meteorological Community.
The holder of this position will also actively contribute to all existing Cloud Computing related projects at ECMWF, such as the European Commission funded WEkEO-DIAS and Climate Data Store (CDS) systems.
The successful candidate will work closely and collaboratively with software developers and many other teams across the organisation to ensure that all services running on the Cloud adhere to critical operations standards.
It is anticipated that the duties for this position may change and evolve over time, to address the changing Cloud Computing needs of ECMWF and its Member States.
Main duties and key responsibilities
- Actively contributing to all Cloud activities at ECMWF
- Deploying, maintaining and troubleshooting an OpenStack platform
- Resolving complex problems relating to OpenStack and Ceph with a particular focus on stability and performance
- Providing colleagues with information, procedures and training that they need for the day-to-day running of relevant services
- Promoting technical innovation and reliable, robust service delivery within the organisation
- Monitoring the availability, performance and reliability of the Cloud infrastructure and service
- Participating in a 24-hour call-out service for mission-critical services which fall under the responsibility of the Platforms and Services Section
- Representing ECMWF in meetings with Member States, partners, vendors, and at international technical conferences
The successful candidate will be recruited at the A2 grade, according to the scales of the Co-ordinated Organisations and the annual basic salary will be £59,228.40 net of tax. This position is assigned to the employment category STF-C as defined in the Staff Regulations.
Full details of salary scales and allowances are available on the ECMWF website at www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs, including the Centre’s Staff Regulations regarding the terms and conditions of employment.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Length of contract: Two years, with the possibility of a further contract.