ECMWF – HPC Analyst
ECMWF, Shinfield Park, Reading, UK
Closing date: 23 March 2020
ECMWF’s High-Performance Computing Facility (HPCF) is a mission-critical central service provided by two Cray XC40 clusters installed in Reading. ECMWF has recently signed a four-year contract worth over 80 million euros with Atos for the supply of the successor system. The new system will deliver an increase in sustained performance of about a factor of five compared to ECMWF’s current system and will be installed in ECMWF’s new Bologna Data Centre, making this both an ideal and exciting time to be part of the new installation and service provision. It is envisaged that the computing infrastructure will be fully operational in 2021.
To ensure that ECMWF meets its installation and service requirements, we are looking to strengthen the ECMWF HPC team with the recruitment of a new HPC Analyst. The successful candidate will work at the ECMWF Headquarters in Reading alongside a senior analyst and with the other three team members being based at the Bologna Data Centre.
As a member of this small focussed team, you will work closely with many other ECMWF sections as well as the HPCF supplier’s staff on the installation of the new system, including any migration of the services from the current system and then providing essential support so that we guarantee the availability and efficient use of this mission critical facility.
Main duties and key responsibilities
- Ensuring that ECMWF’s HPC facilities are used efficiently, and to that end, providing ECMWF’s support groups, developers and users with assistance, tools and training
- Working closely with other members of the HPC team, users of the HPCF, ECMWF user support and with the HPCF supplier’s engineer(s) to assist in:
- Resolving user and operational problems with a focus on operational problems, relating to the operating system or to software packages maintained by the section;
- Configuring, testing, tuning and bringing into production new HPC hardware;
- Integrating the HPC facilities with the workflows of ECMWF’s research and time-critical operational applications as well as member state workload;
- Installing, maintaining, configuring and tuning the operating system, batch scheduling system, standard utilities, user environment and locally developed tools on the HPC facilities;
- Planning for and installing new software upgrades, releases and bug-fixes;
- Providing Computer Operations staff with information, procedures and training that they need for the day-to-day running of the HPCF service;
- Implementing a strong security posture for the HPC systems;
- Participating in a shared rota to provide 24×7 on-call support to resolve urgent issues on ECMWF’s mission-critical HPC systems
- Promoting technical innovation and reliable, robust HPC service within the organisation
- Provide hands-on assistance to support other teams as time permits
- Contributing to the research and evaluation of successor systems to ECMWF’s current HPC Facilities
- Representing ECMWF in meetings with supercomputer vendors and at international technical conferences
The successful candidate will be recruited at the A2 grade, according to the scales of the Co-ordinated Organisations and the annual basic salary will be £60,590.54 net of tax. This position is assigned to the employment category STF-C as defined in the Staff Regulations.
Full details of salary scales and allowances are available on the ECMWF website at www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs, including the Centre’s Staff Regulations regarding the terms and conditions of employment.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Length of contract: Four years, with the possibility of a further contract.