ECMWF – Head of Copernicus Contract Management
ECMWF, Shinfield Park, Reading, UK
Closing date: 16 September 2019
The Head of Copernicus Contract Management position sits within ECMWF’s Copernicus Services Department.
ECMWF procures most elements of the Copernicus Atmosphere Monitoring Service (CAMS) and the Copernicus Climate Change Service (C3S) operational services via competitive tenders. Copernicus Contract Management currently manages a portfolio of 100+ active service procurement contracts, with an overall budget of ~170 million EUR, focusing mainly on the development and provision of data products and information, studies and use cases supporting user uptake, IT development and operations, as well as on communication and training activities. Contractors/Suppliers are both from the public and private sectors, with a significant contribution of SMEs, and from across many European countries.
Leading a team of about six people, the post-holder will be responsible for managing the full life-cycle of the Copernicus procurement process including tender preparation, bid evaluation and bidder selection, negotiations of new procurement contracts, the end-to-end follow-up of compliance with contractual arrangements of awarded contracts, assessing requirements of new procurement needs, follow up and control of the overall budgets for procured activities, implementation and follow-up of financial audits and tracking and planning of financial commitments, costs and payments.
The post-holder will lead and oversee the correct implementation of contract management guidelines and procedures by the team, verify negotiation decisions and payment milestones and they will actively contribute to measures to further reduce ‘time to contract’ and ‘time to pay’ targets within the Copernicus Department.
The post-holder will lead and hold full ownership of the Copernicus contract management processes and controls applied internally and vis-à-vis the contractors, and propose and implement streamlining and/or improvement actions when appropriate.
The post-holder will report to the Director of Copernicus Services and will be part of the management team of the Copernicus Department. The post-holder will also work closely together with the Head of the Procurement Section, who is responsible for the implementation of the tendering process, and the Heads of C3S and CAMS and their teams who are responsible for the strategic and technical definition and follow-up of the procured activities. Furthermore, the post-holder will work closely with the Head of Legal and Head of Finance and their teams.
Main duties and key responsibilities
- Managing and executing the full contract management life cycle of procured contracts in line with the Copernicus Delegation Agreement and Implementation Plans agreed with the European Commission, as well as ECMWF overall policies and procedure.
- Ensuring a proper budget execution of the Copernicus programme on all contracted activities and be responsible for the initiation of commitments, tracking and forecasting of costs and payments
- Line managing the Copernicus Contract Management team
- Contributing to the tendering process in collaboration with the Procurement Section, managing the contracting of evaluation experts and acting as a member of the Copernicus Tender Evaluation Board
- Acting as Verifying Officer for negotiation files, payment requests, contract amendments and service contract preparation files
- Contributing to the planning and reporting cycle of ECMWF vis-à -vis the European Commission by providing inputs to the corresponding documentation, including key performance indicators and contributions from external suppliers
- Contributing to the EU audits, manage checks and controls on contracts, incl. technical reviews and financial audits, handle issues regarding defaulting partners and propose corrective actions Steering developments and improvements of procedures and tools for contract compliancy aspects and reporting
- Supporting the Copernicus management team with interactions with the European Commission and its agencies on relevant activities
- Supporting the Director on contractual and financial aspects of procured activities
Depending on the level of experience and qualifications of the selected candidate, the successful candidate will be recruited at an A3 or A4 grade, according to the scales of the Co-ordinated Organisations and the annual basic salary will be (Grade A3) £73,083.12 or (Grade A4) £84,907.44 net of tax, depending on the grade. This position is assigned to the employment category STF-PL as defined in the Staff Regulations.
Full details of salary scales and allowances are available on the ECMWF website at www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs, including the Centre’s Staff Regulations regarding the terms and conditions of employment.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Length of contract: Four years. However, the continuation of the contract beyond 30 September 2021 will be subject to the signing of the next Copernicus delegation agreement with the European Commission and the availability of associated funding.