ECMWF – First Line Support Engineer
ECMWF, Bonn, Germany
Closing date: 4 August 2021
The position is funded by the EU project Destination Earth and will support the work in the Service Desk team in the Computing Department. The successful candidate will provide first-line IT support to ECMWF users.
This position will be based in Bonn, Germany and will report to the Leader of the Service Desk Team who will be based in Reading, UK, at the ECMWF Headquarters.
This would suit an individual that will enjoy working as part of the dedicated Service Desk team providing first class service to resolve issues and supporting its internal customers in a timely manner. Ideally you will be passionate about technology and eager to increase existing knowledge, with the ability to deliver exceptional customer service. There will be much interaction with many internal stakeholders.
Main duties and key responsibilities
- Providing first-line support for end user devices (Windows, macOS and Linux-based systems), specifically:
o supporting installation and deployment
o performing routine installations using turn-key packages
o troubleshooting and fixing software and hardware problems
- Setting up and maintaining user accounts and user credentials
- Providing technical support for meetings and conferences
- Providing inductions and training
- Recording and managing incident data in a centralised incident management system (Jira Service Desk), including analysis and reporting
- Maintaining adequate communication to users about changes, issues and incidents
- Liaising with second-level IT support and developers, escalating issues if required
- Drafting and maintaining support documentation and training materials, such as user guides, and troubleshooting guides, and solution reports
- Participating in projects and activities in collaboration with other teams of the Centre and advising on appropriate support models
- Contributing with designing, reviewing and optimising support processes
- Supporting the Team Leader and Head of Section with activities aimed at maintaining and delivering a high-quality service
The successful candidates will be recruited at the B6 grade, according to the scales of the Co-ordinated Organisations and the annual basic salary will be EUR 76,182.36 net of tax. These positions are assigned to the employment category STF-PL as defined in the Staff Regulations.
Full details of salary scales and allowances are available on the ECMWF website at www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs, including the Centre’s Staff Regulations regarding the terms and conditions of employment.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Length of contract: The total contract duration (with the possibility of further extension) is expected to be four years. However, please note that the Destination Earth Contribution Agreement is likely to be divided in phases, the first of which will last for two and a half years. The Centre is therefore required to contract initially for the same period. Extensions to complete the four-year period (which could be subsequently extended even further) will be offered to the successful candidate as soon as funding beyond the initial phase is confirmed.
Successful applicants and members of their family forming part of their households will be exempt from immigration restrictions.