ECMWF – Deputy Director of Research
ECMWF, Shinfield Park, Reading, UK
Closing date: May 2021
The Research Department is responsible for delivering innovative research and development at the forefront of science. Ultimately this work is to continue to improve the operational services provided by ECMWF, and hence the portfolio of work needs to span long-term strategic initiatives and the effective of transitioning of research advances to operations.
The successful candidate will report to and work closely with the Director of Research, supporting them in developing strategic thinking and relevant documents such as the 4-year plan. As part of the Research Department management team, they will coordinate annual planning in close collaboration with the relevant Heads of Section, and will provide scientific leadership and oversight to the development of new model cycles to improve the performance of ECMWF operational forecasts.
A particular focus of the role will be on further enhancing co-ordination and scientific synergies with Copernicus activities and the new Destination Earth initiative. They will also lead efforts to strengthen scientific partnerships with selected key collaborators, and seek external funding aligned with ECMWF’s science strategy. They will also be a member of the ECMWF leadership team, and will represent the Department in various working groups and projects. This post offers a wide variety of exciting challenges and opportunities to take the lead in critical activities for the Department and ECMWF.
Main duties and key responsibilities
- Leading the Research Department in the preparation, implementation and monitoring of the Department’s Annual Plan and objectives
- Leading Research Department efforts to maximize complementarity and synergies (in both directions) with Copernicus
- Working with the Destination Earth Science lead to ensure Research Department delivery to Destination Earth requirements, while maximizing synergies with wider ECMWF strategy.
- Leading efforts to strengthen strategic scientific partnerships with selected key institutes and consortia to further deliver research and development in support of the ECMWF strategy
- Providing strategic oversight of Research Department efforts to seek external funding in support of the ECMWF strategy, including co-ordination with other departments
- Acting as a Member of the ECMWF leadership team and leading or contributing to cross-cutting internal and external projects, working groups and meetings on behalf of the Director of Research
- Acting as a Member of the Research Management Team
- Providing scientific leadership and oversight to the development of new model cycles.
- Deputizing for the Director of Research as required
The successful candidate will be recruited at the A5 grade, according to the scales of the Co-ordinated Organisations and the annual basic salary will be £103,211.40 net of tax. This position is assigned to the employment category STF-C as defined in the Staff Regulations.
Full details of salary scales and allowances are available on the ECMWF website at www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs, including the Centre’s Staff Regulations regarding the terms and conditions of employment.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Length of contract: Four years, with the possibility of a further contract.