Data and computer modelling support technician
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Closing date: not specified
The objective of this position is to give IT support to the project Integrated Systems Analysis of Urban Vegetation (URBAG). The project aims to determine to what degree green infrastructures can be a source of sustainable food, reduce environmental impacts, and promote a more efficient use of resources in urban regions.
It is a five-year project starting September 2019, funded by the Horizon 2020 European Research Council and hosted by ICTA-UAB.
The tasks in the work will involve:
- Data management of the ERC project.
- Technical support of computational jobs run by the researchers of the team, using weather research and chemical transport models: problem solving, programming, preparing scripts, compiling models, and such.
- Web page maintenance
Job position requirements (skills/languages/required experience):
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVEL:
- Computer science: Bachelor Degree or equivalent
- Other scientific background: Bachelor Degree or equivalent
- ENGLISH: Good
- Either CATALAN or SPANISHC: Basic
- Experience with UNIX/LINUX environments and scripting languages (bash, python, etc)
- Experience with git
- Experience managing SQL databases
- Experience compiling software using different compilers (GNU compilers mainly) and MPI interfaces (OpenMPI, MPICH)
- Basic knowledge of data preservation
- Experience in any of the following will be valued positively:
- Experience compiling and using Weather Research software such as WRF
- Basic knowledge of other programming languages such as Fortran
- Experience designing and managing cloud infrastructures (GCP or AWS) and containers (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Experience in handling Earth sciences data types (netCDF, GRIB, HDF5…)
- Previous experience in HPC architecture and parallel programming (multi-threaded applications)
- Experience in Input/Output Application Program Interface (API) libraries
Benefits: 6 month-long initial contract, anually renewable up to 59 month-long, part-time contract (50%), 19 hours per week. Access to UAB campus services. 20.400€ per year.
Selection process: CV evaluation, interviews and reference letters
- Academic record (30%)
- Relevant research experience (50%)
- Motivation (20%)
A motivation letter must be included and submitted along with the CV, a sample of written work (8,000 words) and two letters of recommendation to email@example.com. Please, quote the reference: “2551 – Data and computer modelling support technician in URBAG project”
If no candidate reaches the minimum qualification of 70%, the position will be left deserted.