EUMETSAT – Cloud Application Service Engineer
EUMETSAT, Darmstadt, Germany
Closing date: 16 March 2020
EUMETSAT is currently looking for an experienced Cloud Application Service Engineer, from any Big Data Cloud environment, to join an international team of inspiring engineers and industry professionals, tasked with driving innovation within the Space, Satellite and Earth Observation sector.
This role is rooted in the mission of EUMETSAT and will provide the opportunity to work with leading IT, Space and Earth Observation organisations and domain experts to make a positive impact on society!
What you’ll be doing
EUMETSAT had established a new “data-centric” strategy on the development of a portfolio of new Big Data Services which are due to enter operations in 2020. The portfolio is based on modern big data technologies and architectures, applications, user portals and hosted processing capabilities with full integration across the entire cloud stack from Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), Software as a Service (SaaS) up to Data as a Service (DaaS). The Cloud Application Service Engineer will manage the service interfaces of the higher-level big data services towards operations. This relates to requirement emerging from new users on one side and the corresponding system requirements towards the cloud infrastructure layer (IaaS) on the other side. Those high level (SaaS & DaaS) services include Online Data Access, Visualisation Services, Tools and User Access & Discovery Services.
- Manage the service interface of the SaaS & DaaS big data services and cloud applications towards operations and towards the infrastructure provisioning teams;
- Provide SaaS and DaaS services including resource provisioning and accounting of their usage;
- Support User Services in the on-boarding of new users and projects as well as supporting existing users in terms of usage of the services, translating the user requirements into service and system requirements and making available the corresponding services and resources to them.
What EUMETSAT offers
- Excellent salary, of up to Euro 7,500 / month NET (after tax) based on skills and experience
- Flexible working time including additional flexi-leave
- Private medical coverage for employee and family
- Attractive final salary pension
- 30 days of annual leave + 14.5 days public holidays
- Training and development support
- Relocation allowance and support (if applicable)
A University degree in Computer Information Systems, Computer Science (Business), Software Engineering, or equivalent relevant experience gained in a Service Delivery role, preferably working with cloud based IT services in an operational and user oriented environment.
Skills and Experience:
- Strong applied System Engineering background within any Big Data Cloud Infrastructure environment – prior Space or Satellite industry experience is not required!
- Applied cloud native application environment know-how
- Applied experience in Service Delivery Management
- Applied knowledge of formal system & service development, verification and validation;
- Excellent organisational, communication and presentation skills, pro-active attitude and the ability to work autonomously with a minimum of supervision under high workloads.
Bonus points for:
- Experience in Agile methodology
- Applied experience in ITIL based service management
- Experience in the use of API’s, Python and / or Jupiter Notebook
- Good market overview of current cloud technologies and cloud service providers landscape in Europe
Visit the EUMETSAT website for more information and how to apply