Boundary Layer Cloud Data Analysis and Modeling Research Associate
Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES), Boulder, Colorado, USA
Closing date: 13 October 2019
The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) in Boulder, Colorado is seeking a scientist to work at the NOAA Earth System Research Laboratory (ESRL) with its Chemical Sciences Division (CSD) in the Cloud and Aerosol Processes program. The successful candidate will conduct research to characterize and quantify the properties, statistics, and organization of trade cumulus convection and cloudiness, and its response to ocean and atmosphere mean state and variability as part of the NOAA Atlantic Trade-wind Ocean-Atmosphere Mesoscale Interaction Campaign (ATOMIC).
The position is available for a period of 2 years with the possibility of extension to 3 years. This position will be rostered in CIRES at the University of Colorado Boulder, but will be physically situated in the David Skaggs Research Center, 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305. If you are the finalist you will be required to pass a background clearance for site access.
- Processing and analysis of satellite data, reanalysis data, and of ship and aircraft data from the ATOMIC and EUREC4A (Elucidating the Role of Clouds-Circulation Coupling in Climate) field campaigns.
- Application of statistical methods, pattern recognition, and machine learning.
- Operation and evaluation of large eddy simulations./li>
- PhD in Atmospheric Sciences or a related field.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Programming experience (Fortran, Python).
- Experience in the operation of atmospheric models (large eddy simulations or regional models)
- Satellite remote sensing
- Cloud physics or boundary layer meteorology.
- Familiarity with Linux, IDL, netCDF, NCO, C.
To apply, please submit the following materials
- Resume or CV
- Cover letter addressed to the Search Committee briefly describing your qualifications, professional goals, and specific interest in this position. /li>
- List of 3 references: the names, professional titles, and contact information of those who are familiar with your qualifications and work history.
If you are selected as one of the finalists, the Hiring Committee will request letters of recommendation. Please do not include letters of recommendation with your application materials.
Full consideration will be given to applications received by October 13, 2019, or until the position is filled. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs, posting number 20326. Application materials will not be accepted via email.
Full Job Details: https://jobs.colorado.edu/jobs/JobDetail/?jobId=20326
Posting Contact Name: Jan Kazil
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com