Job vacancy in the framework of the “EVALRADIO” project
DWD, Meteorological Observatory Lindenberg (near Berlin), Germany
Closing date: 4 September 2018
The main goal of GRUAN is to provide high-quality reference observations of essential climate variables in the upper air for the purpose of climate monitoring (https://www.gruan.org).
In the framework of the “EVALRADIO” project, a GRUAN data product for the Vaisala RS41 radiosonde will be developed.
For this purpose, systematic deviations and other measurement errors of the radiosonde sensors for temperature, humidity, pressure and wind must be characterized by analysing measurement data obtained under laboratory conditions. Based on the results, algorithms have to be developed that correct these measurement errors and estimate the corresponding measurement uncertainty in order to integrate them into the existing GRUAN data processing system. All work should be extensively documented and published in peer-reviewed literature so as to meet the requirements for traceability and transparency in GRUAN.
The successful candidate will:
- Perform scientific analysis of measurement data for the characterization of radiosonde sensors (temperature, humidity, pressure and wind)
- Develop algorithms to correct biases and other measurement errors as well as to estimate the measurement uncertainty of radiosonde data for the creation of a GRUAN data product
- Validate the GRUAN data product by comparison with other data products
- Provide comprehensive documentation of the GRUAN data processing for the RS41 in English; writing reports, publications in scientific journals and participation in international conferences
- A university degree (bachelor/master) in natural sciences, preferably in meteorology, physics, geo/environmental sciences or in a comparable subject area (a PhD in one of these fields is desirable but not required)
- Fluency in English, both in writing and speaking (min. level C1 CEFR)
- Willingness to travel to (inter)national meetings and conferences.
- Excellent knowledge of scientific data-analysis
- Excellent knowledge and experience in the development of scientific algorithms for the correction of deviations, measurement errors and the estimation of measurement uncertainties
- Excellent knowledge in the execution of validations and comparative analyses in relation to scientific data products
- Excellent knowledge and experience in programming in modern computer languages and use of software (e.g. Java, Python, R, IDL) and their use for the analysis of extensive experimental data sets
- Experience in publishing and presenting research results in English
- Experience in drafting (technical) documentation in English
- Knowledge of written and spoken German (min. level A2 CEFR)
- Knowledge and experience in the rapid acquisition of new IT systems
- Ability to think independently and analytically
- Good Communication and cooperation skills
- Ability to work independently and goal-oriented; show initiative
- Planning and organisational skills
Knowledge of another foreign language besides English is considered an advantage.
The position is valued according to salary group 13, Part I of Annex 1 to the TV-EntgO-Bund. Salary scale depends on relevant experience (http://oeffentlicher-dienst.info/c/t/rechner/beamte/bund?id=beamte-bund&g=A_13&s=0&f=1&z=100&zulage=&stj=2013&stkl=5&r=0&zkf=).
DWD promotes the compatibility of work and family life and has been certified accordingly. For more information, please visit www.beruf-und-familie.de
Project and location information:
- Project name: EVALRADIO
- Reference code: 20181179_0002
- Envisaged starting date: 1 January 2019
- Duration: 4 years
- Closing date for application: 4 September 2018
- Meteorological Observatory Lindenberg is part of the Research & Development division of DWD. Lindenberg observatory is situated in Tauche/Lindenberg in the Berlin area
(see e.g. https://email@example.com,14.1147166,13.25z).
- Part-time staffing is generally possible.
- Women are encouraged to apply.
- Women with equal qualifications are given preferential consideration in accordance with § 8 BGleiG. The interests of the Federal Equality Act are taken into account here.
- Disabled people with equal professional qualifications are given preference. Only a minimum level of physical aptitude is required to perform the job.
- Candidates from all nationalities are invited to apply.
- A selection committee will assess the applicants and select the successful candidate.
- In the case of foreign educational qualifications, we request that appropriate proof of equivalence with a German qualification is provided. For more information, please visit the website of the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) at www.kmk.org/zab
- Please apply before 04.09.2018 using the Electronic Application Procedure (EBV) on http://www.bav.bund.de/Einstieg-EBV (use the reference code 20181179_0002)
- Please upload your complete application documents (CV, university bachelor/master’s certificate and references) as an attachment to your candidate profile.
- In addition, please provide your degree (and associated grading) in your candidate profile under “Education/Degrees” and your knowledge of German and English under “Languages”.
If you have any questions concerning the electronic application procedure, please contact the Federal Institute for Administrative Services at +49 4941 602-240.
For further information with regard to this vacancy please contact
Mr. Daniel Eidmann
Tel.: +49 69 8062-4255