– Where the Poles come together
The deadline for the submission of abstracts has expired.
The Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research SCAR and the International Arctic Science Committee IASC invite the international polar and high altitude community to their joint meeting POLAR2018, hosted by WSL and SLF in Davos, Switzerland.
- 15 – 18 June 2018 SCAR and IASC/ASSW Business & Satellite Meetings
- 19 – 23 June 2018 SCAR/IASC Open Science Conference, including the COMNAP Symposium
- 24 – 26 June 2018 SCAR Delegates Meeting & 2018 Arctic Observing Summit
The goal of POLAR2018 is to bring together excellent research from both poles, as well as from high altitude areas, focusing on the similar challenges those regions face. The program features 65 different sessions, structured into 12 categories:
- Astrophysics and Astronomy
- Atmosphere, Climate
- Biology, Ecology, Ecosystems, Biodiversity
- Geology, Geophysics, Solid Earth
- Outreach and Communications
- Ocean, Sea Ice
- Social Sciences and Humanities
- Observation Systems
- Technology, Engineering
In addition to the parallel sessions, central elements of the Open Science Conference (OSC) will be keynote presentations, mini-symposia, extended poster sessions, and exhibitions. The annual COMNAP symposium will be held during the OSC, as well as a plenary lecture from the 2018 Arctic Observing Summit as an opening to this biennial summit immediately after the OSC. A range of excursions and trips will allow participants to make the most of coming to the Swiss Alps and enjoy science, nature, culture, and sports.