EMS Silver Medal 2021: Call for nominations
Nominations for the EMS Silver Medal 2020 are now invited.
The final day of submission is 31 January 2021.
Details on the nomination process and documents can be found below.
The EMS Silver Medal was established in 2008 to highlight distinguished contributions to the development of meteorology in Europe. Candidates for the EMS Silver Medal can be nominated by EMS Member Societies and Associate Members, EMS Committees and Project Teams through their respective chairs, and EMS Council representatives.
The Award consists of the Silver Medal and a certificate. The awardee is invited to give a Silver Medal Lecture the EMS Annual Meeting.
Silver Medalists 2008 to 2020
The EMS invites EMS Member Societies, EMS Associate Members, EMS Committees and Project Teams, and EMS Council representatives to make nominations for the Silver Medal 2021.
Deadline: 31 January 2021
Criteria used in the evaluation of the nominated candidates are given below. All three are important in the evaluation process.
- Service to the European meteorological community (i.e. academic activity, leadership in relevant national and international organisations, serving as editor of relevant regular publications such as journals etc.)
- Outstanding contributions to increase and enhance the public understanding of relevant meteorological aspects and issues (i.e. communications on climate issues, publication of relevant books addressing wider circles of our society, activity on the media, organisation and steering of educational and training projects, etc.)
- Scientific contributions to meteorology and related fields (i.e. scientific achievements with international recognition, relevant publications, scientific leadership and management, etc.)
Nominations and Deadline
Nominations must be written in the English language and submitted electronically as pdf-file(s).
Any nomination has to include:
- A Curriculum Vitae of the nominee, including contact details.
Please restrict a publication list to two pages with the most relevant publications highlighted.
- A statement that explains the achievements and contributions of the nominee to the development of meteorology in Europe, addressing all three criteria detailed above.
- Two support letters by relevant experts in the field (more than 2 are not accepted), also addressing all three criteria.
- A proposal for a citation of 30 words or less (condensed summary of the achievements to be used for the the announcement of the recipient).
EMS Member Societies, EMS Associate Members, EMS Committees and Project Teams through their respective chairs, and EMS Council representatives are eligible to make nominations.
Please submit any nomination to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday, 31 January 2021.
Forwarding of non-selected nominations
The EMS Council approved at its Session in September 2015 that nominations that were not selected for the Award can be forwarded once to be considered again for the award in the following year (i.e. for the Silver Medal 2022).
The Silver Medal will be presented to the selected awardee during the EMS Annual Meeting in September 2021. Should the meeting need to be held as a virtual conference also the Awards ceremony and lecture will be presented online.