ECMWF: Senior Site Engineer and Site Engineer (Two positions)
Initially Shinfield Park, Reading, UK, later Bologna, Italy
Closing date: 27 September 2018
Summary of the role
ECMWF is moving its Data Centre to Bologna (Italy) in 2019. In preparation, ECMWF is looking to recruit two engineers who will make up its on-site engineering team in Bologna. The construction of the data centre will start in the autumn of this year and is expected to be fully operational by the last quarter of 2020.
The engineering team will oversee and manage the engineering services at the data centre in Bologna, including all aspects of the technical infrastructure and the building services that support the computing environment, such as electrical distribution, chilled water systems, air conditioning, data cabling etc.
It is envisaged that both roles will involve an initial period of familiarisation and training at the current data centre in Reading and candidates must be prepared to be based in Reading for a period of time at the start of their contract.
The engineering team will also be involved in the planning and organisation necessary to ensure the timely and continuous provision of all services during the transitional period from moving the ECMWF Data Centre from Reading to Bologna.
The successful candidates must have a hands-on, practical approach, with a sound engineering background and the ability and experience to take well-reasoned engineering decisions.
Engineering team – main duties and key responsibilities
- Maintaining a thorough technical understanding of the day-to-day operation of building services throughout the facility including, for example, electrical and mechanical systems, data cabling infrastructure, fire detection and suppression systems, security and access control etc.
- Responsible for monitoring the data centre whitespace and infrastructure using building management system, power and energy management and monitoring systems
- Troubleshooting infrastructure systems and advising on their capabilities, particularly when faults have occurred
- Supervising and managing mechanical and electrical contractors that provide maintenance and installation work on site, including
- Switching LV electrical supplies.
- Providing 24*7 on-call support as part of a rota
- Contributing to the specification of new and replacement infrastructure and participating in procurements, to ensure that new infrastructure is implemented successfully
- Producing and maintaining procedures for safe operation of the facilities systems and infrastructure
- Providing guidance and expertise on all aspects of engineering and infrastructure at the data centre and to the rest of the ECMWF Computing Department as and when necessary to ensure smooth and timely installation of new systems / modification of existing systems
- Supporting the procurement of infrastructure services including design, specification, installation, performance and commissioning as well as maintenance and services contracts
- Improving operational resilience and operating efficiency where possible
- Liaising with and managing engineering design consultants for infrastructure projects
In addition, the Senior Site Engineer will be responsible for:
- Managing the engineering team, providing both technical guidance, line management and support
- Coordinating, planning and organising the provision of engineering services at the data centre
- Contributing to the overall management of the data centre
Grade A2: €64,085.88 NET of tax.
Grade A3: €79,067.64 NET of tax.
Both positions are assigned to the employment category STF-C as defined in the Staff Regulations. ECMWF offers an attractive salary package and candidates will also be eligible to join the ECMWF Pension Scheme and will also be covered by Cigna, the Supplementary Health Insurance Scheme. Full details of salary scales and allowances are available on the ECMWF website at www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs, including the Centre’s Staff Regulations regarding the terms and conditions of employment.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Length of contract: Four years with possibility of a further contract.
Location: It is envisaged that both roles will involve an initial period of familiarisation and training at the current Data Centre in Reading, Berkshire, United Kingdom and candidates must be prepared to be based in Reading for a period at the start of their contract. Thereafter, the position will be located in the Bologna area, in Emilia-Romagna, Italy. The exact period is project dependent and will be discussed during the recruitment process.