ECMWF: Senior Analyst – Team Leader Observations in the Production Section
Shinfield Park, Reading, UK
Closing date: 30 April 2018
The Observation Team is responsible for any observation related aspect in ECMWF’s operational production chain, in particular the acquisition, data format design, conversion and pre-processing of meteorological and other environmental observation data. He or she also supports staff in other departments and Member States with their expertise. The person will jointly lead ECMWF’s Data Governance process, and represent ECMWF at international events, such as the WMO expert team on data representation and codes. Therefore, a good understanding of observation data formats for international data exchange, in particular BUFR, is highly desirable.
The successful candidate will have a very strong background in this field and will be required to lead and contribute to projects within the team and across departments. As Team Leader, he or she will drive continuous innovation and improvement processes in their area of expertise.
Main duties and key responsibilities
- Leading the Observation Team in the Production Section, and line-managing its staff, including matrix managed project staff
- Advising the Section Head in areas of activities in their team, drafting work plans for the team, monitoring and reporting on progress, and deputising for the Section Head when required
- Developing, maintaining and continuously improving the relevant operational systems within the team’s areas of activities, such as data acquisition, observation pre-processing systems, and related software
- Coordinating observation handling with other groups at ECMWF and in Member States or Cooperating States, and represent ECMWF as expert at WMO meetings and other international conferences
- Jointly leading ECMWF’s Data Governance
- Leading or contributing to projects relating to data representation and observation processing
- Organising and participating in the team’s 24/7 on-call support
The successful candidate will be recruited at the A3 grade, according to the scales of the Co-ordinated Organisations and the annual basic salary will be £71,861.52 net of tax. This position is assigned to the employment category STF-C as defined in the Staff Regulations.
Full details of salary scales and allowances are available on the ECMWF website at www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs, including the Centre’s Staff Regulations regarding the terms and conditions of employment.
Starting date: 1 June 2018, or as soon as possible thereafter.
Length of contract: Four years with the possibility of a further contract.