ECMWF: Scientist – NWP Software Developer
Shinfield Park, Reading, UK
Closing date: 20 September 2018
This role is in the Code Efficiency Team of the Integrated Forecast Systems (IFS) Section in the Research Department. The IFS is ECMWF’s world-leading global data assimilation and numerical weather prediction system, used to provide medium-, extended- and seasonal-range forecasts, global re-analyses, and atmospheric composition monitoring, to Member States across Europe as well as commercial customers around the world. The IFS Section is responsible for all technical aspects of the IFS, from the build system and the merging of new contributions, through to the handover of new releases to operations and the management of the research data archive. The Code Efficiency team has a very important part to play in optimising efficiency of both the operational suites and the research workload, to ensure rapid scientific progress can be made cost-effectively, and in adapting the IFS for future HPC architectures.
The successful candidate will participate in the work of the Code Efficiency Team. In particular, he or she will maintain and develop the IFS build system and the associated automated testing framework and quality-assurance test suite.
Another key element to this function will be to support scientists across the organisation, with a focus on observation processing and data assimilation, in developing, optimising, debugging and testing new contributions to the IFS.
Main duties and key responsibilities
- Improving the software design and implementation of ECMWF’s modelling and data assimilation systems
- Maintaining the build system for the IFS forecast system
- Maintaining and evolving observation-processing code bases with emphasis on code efficiency and software quality
- Supporting other scientists involved in observation processing and data assimilation development with optimisation, problem-solving and advice on software-related aspects
- Assisting with the testing and debugging of different configurations of new IFS releases
The successful candidate will be recruited at the A2 grade, according to the scales of the Co-ordinated Organisations and the annual basic salary will be £58,238.40 net of tax. This position is assigned to the employment category STF-C as defined in the Staff Regulations.
Full details of salary scales and allowance are available on the ECMWF website at https://www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs/jobs-ecmwf including the Centre’s Staff Regulations regarding the terms and conditions of employment.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Length of contract: Four years, with the possibility of a further contract.