ECMWF: Project Accountant & Project Funding Accountant (two positions)
Shinfield Park, Reading, UK
Closing date: 17 September 2018
Both positions sit within the Finance Section of the Administration Department and will play a key part in the financial processes of ECMWF and will involve building excellent relationships with colleagues from across the organisation, including a number of external organisations. Therefore, s/he will be expected to interact and articulate with confidence their knowledge in their area of responsibility in relation to all project and external funding. As the Finance Team is in a period of change, there will be a need to embrace any changes and continuously look to improve the financial controls and processes currently in place.
For the Project Funding Accountant – STF-C
S/he will be responsible for the finances and reporting of the externally funded projects and a number of high profile third party activities that ECMWF currently participates in.
For the Project Accountant – STF-PL
S/he will be responsible for managing the finances and reporting of externally funded projects which ECMWF participates with, with an emphasis and responsibility for the Copernicus Project funded by the European Commission (EC).
Main duties and key responsibilities
- Liaising and developing effective working relationships with scientists, project managers and other areas of the business and maintaining open lines of communication and information relating to the specific financial area of responsibility
- Assisting in the forecasting and budgeting process in the specific financial area of responsibility to provide variance analyses which can be shared across the organisation as well as liaising with budget holders
- Ensuring compliancy with external and internal rules and regulations, with a willingness to explain and educate others as required
- Liaising with internal and external auditors and other external bodies in relation to the specific financial area of responsibility
- Providing general support to the Finance Section
Additional duties for the Project Accountant
- Developing and producing all reports required under the Copernicus Services Delegation Agreement
- Ensuring expert knowledge and compliancy of the rules and regulations of the Delegation Agreement with the European Commission relating to the use of funding
- Reviewing all Copernicus accounting entries, to ensure control and compliancy against the rules and regulations
- Providing regular cash flow projections for projects for cash-flow management, including the development of a more robust working model
Additional duties for the Project Funding Accountant
- Administering projects from inception to completion, together with all the associated tasks relating to this the project, maintaining records of project funding, costs, commitments, contract milestones and invoicing, ensuring reconciliation to the General Ledger and supporting contracts
- Providing support for proposals and business cases for new funding from the European Commission and other funding bodies within required timeframes, ensuring compliancy with internal procedures and appropriate authorisation
- Providing up-to-date knowledge of the rules and regulations relating to the use of funding, including, the Delegation Agreement, EC Model Grant Agreements, and Framework contracts.
- Overseeing the time recording requirements of projects (i.e. timesheets, declarations) to ensure consistency with regulations, timely and accurate submission, and preparation of associated accounting adjustments
- Ensuring all financial and administrative reporting is produced and submitted within the project deadlines, inputting as appropriate on various portals of funding organisations
- Overseeing the financial reporting for those EC projects where we are the consortium co-ordinator, being one of the primary points of contact for financial /administrative matters, responding to queries from partners, reviewing and scrutinising submissions, and liaising with the EC’s Financial Officer as required
The successful candidates will be recruited at the A2 grade, according to the scales of the Co-ordinated Organisations and the annual basic salary will be £58,238.40 net of tax. The Project Funding Accountant position is assigned to the employment category STF-C as defined in the Staff Regulations and the Project Accountant position is assigned to the employment category STF-PL, as defined the Staff Regulations.
Full details of salary scales and allowance are available on the ECMWF website at https://www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs/jobs-ecmwf including the Centre’s Staff Regulations regarding the terms and conditions of employment.
Starting date: As soon as possible (both positions)
Length of contract for the Project Accountant: To 31 December 2021, with the possibility of further extension subject to further funding.
Length of contract for the Project Funding Accountant: Four years with the possibility of a further contract.