ECMWF: Head of Production Services
Shinfield Park, Reading, UK
Closing date: 04 October 2018
Summary of the role
The Head of the Production Services Section is responsible for the production of ECMWF’s numerical weather prediction (NWP) outputs and the related service delivery activities. This role is pivotal in ensuring that the users around the world have highly reliable and timely access to ECMWF real-time products. S/he will report directly to the Director of Forecasts and also to ECMWF’s governing bodies on technical matters concerning the operational production of NWP.
The appointee will lead three teams within the Section, which cover the following service areas: operational production of NWP outputs, observation acquisition and pre-processing, data dissemination and archiving. The post holder will play an important role in linking and integrating activities across departments. S/he will be part of ECMWF’s senior management team and will be responsible for co-ordinating and/or delivering strategic crosscutting, inter-dependent projects and programmes in an operational environment. This requires close collaboration and frequent interaction with a variety of internal and external customers and partner organisations.
S/he will encourage and nurture continuous innovation and improvement by leading and providing expertise to ensure that the operational production services meet the agreed service level agreements and future strategic requirements. S/he will also participate in international meetings in her/his areas of responsibility and expertise on behalf of ECMWF.
Main duties and key responsibilities
- Leading the provision of effective, high quality and reliable operational services to Member and Co-operating States and other users in line with the ECMWF’s strategy
- Managing the evolution and continuous improvement of ECMWF’s operational systems, integration of developments, implementation and maintenance
- Leading and managing the Production Services Section and its team leaders by providing direction, coaching and support
- Planning, organising and managing the resources of the section, including those from externally funded projects
- Developing and overseeing the operational applications related to the production chain, e.g. acquisition and handling of observations, dissemination of NWP outputs, governance and archiving of meteorological data, including the release of new NWP model versions
- Developing and maintaining strong relationships with key internal staff from across all departments at ECMWF
- Providing insights and recommendations to the ECMWF Senior Leadership Team and governing bodies
- Supporting the Director of Forecasts in the delivery of ECMWF’s strategy in relation to operational production services, and contributing to future strategic plans
The successful candidate will be recruited at the A4 grade, according to the scales of the Co-ordinated Organisations and the annual basic salary will be £83,488.20 net of tax. This position is assigned to the employment category STF-C as defined in the Staff Regulations.
Full details of salary scales and allowance are available on the ECMWF website at https://www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs/jobs-ecmwf including the Centre’s Staff Regulations regarding the terms and conditions of employment.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Length of contract: Four years, with the possibility of a further contract.