ECMWF – Head of Data Centre Operations
Shinfield Park, Reading, UK
Closing date: 19 July 2018
ECMWF is moving its data centre to Bologna (Italy) in 2019. In preparation, ECMWF is looking to recruit a Head of Data Centre Operations who will take the overall responsibility for the effective management of the data centre operations and related activities. The construction of the ECMWF Data Centre will start in the autumn of this year.
In this role, the Head of Data Centre Operations is expected to build excellent relationships with both internal and external stakeholders as well as overseeing the effective management of the data centre Operations, including the local administrative and regulatory matters. The Head of the Data Centre will provide strategic vision and insight on the activities and operations of the data centre in alignment with ECMWF’s mission. He or she will also liaise and cooperate with other staff within the Department and across the entire organisation, to ensure that the ECMWF operations team based in Italy embraces the ECMWF culture and retains the ECMWF identity.
Main duties and key responsibilities
- Managing ECMWF’s data centre operations in Italy, ensuring that the necessary IT and telecommunications infrastructure are consistently available to support ECMWF’s activities
- Delivering the services to users within authorised budgets, and agreed service levels and KPI’s
- Ensuring that comprehensive maintenance and development plans for the ECMWF Data Centre are prepared and implemented accordingly
- Taking the overall local responsibility of the ECMWF’s data centre related activities in Bologna, Italy, in close co-ordination with functional managers across the organisation
- Ensuring effective communication with stakeholders in matters relating to data centre operations and development
- Providing a suitable environment to support future development of the ECMWF IT infrastructure
- Ensuring an effective risk identification and management plan is in place, together with a clearly defined and effective business continuity plan
- Ensuring the effective management of the ECMWF’s Italian regulatory, compliance, commercial and administrative obligations and relationships arising from its data centre operations
The successful candidate will be recruited at the A5 grade, according to the scales of the Co-ordinated Organisations and the annual basic salary will be €106,413.36 NET of tax. This position is assigned to the employment category STF-C as defined in the Staff Regulations.
Full details of salary scales and allowance are available on the ECMWF website at https://www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs/jobs-ecmwf including the Centre’s Staff Regulations regarding the terms and conditions of employment.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Length of contract: Four years, with the possibility of a further contract.