ECMWF – Electrical & Mechanical Engineer
Shinfield Park, Reading, UK
Closing date: 12 July 2018
ECMWF is moving its Data Centre to Bologna (Italy) in 2019 and as part of the transition period, some additional engineering support is required to cover the current operational Data Centre support located in Reading (United Kingdom) until the end of 2020.
The Electrical & Mechanical Engineer will work very closely with the Senior Site Engineer in all aspects of the technical infrastructure and the building services that support the computing environment, such as electrical distribution, chilled water systems, air conditioning, data cabling etc.
The focus of this post is primarily technical but the Electrical & Mechanical Engineer will also be involved in the detailed planning and organisation necessary to ensure the timely and continuous provision of all services during this transitional period.
Main duties and key responsibilities
- Planning and organising the provision of services
- Maintaining a thorough technical understanding of the day-to-day operation of building services throughout the facility including, for example, electrical and mechanical systems, data cabling infrastructure, fire detection and suppression systems, security and access control etc.
- Responsible for monitoring the infrastructure using building management system, power and energy management system
- Troubleshooting infrastructure systems and advising on their capabilities, particularly when faults have occurred
- Supervising and managing mechanical and electrical contractors that provide routine maintenance and installation work on site including an on-site facilities management contractor
- Contributing to the specification of new and replacement infrastructure and participating in procurements, to ensure that new infrastructure is implemented successfully
- Overseeing the Data Centre whitespace, provisioning of power, cooling and network connectivity to assets
- Producing procedures for safe operation of the facilities systems and infrastructure
- Switching LV electrical supplies
- Providing 24*7 on-call support as part of a rota
The successful candidate will be recruited at the A2 grade, with an attractive tax-free salary package according to the scales of the Co-ordinated Organisations, with an annual basic salary of £58,238.40 NET of tax. This position is assigned to the employment category STF-PL as defined in the Staff Regulations.
Full details of salary scales and allowance are available on the ECMWF website at https://www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs/jobs-ecmwf including the Centre’s Staff Regulations regarding the terms and conditions of employment.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Length of contract: To 31 December 2020.