ECMWF – Director of Computing
Shinfield Park, Reading, UK
Closing date: 23 April 2018
The Director of Computing sets, directs and delivers the strategic objectives of the Computing Department, ensuring that their HPC vision enables scientific leadership. The role is at executive management level and involves interacting with stakeholders externally and across the Centre. Internal stakeholders include the Director-General, other Department Directors and Section Heads.
The Director of Computing will foster stakeholder cooperation to support the Centre in obtaining the resources (financial and otherwise) necessary to carry out its mission. He or she will ensure compliance with regulations and policies, with any applicable external regulations, and with contractual obligations.
The role calls for considerable experience in an established scientific, technical or research-led environment.
Main duties and key responsibilities
The Director of Computing is responsible for the successful leadership and management of the Computing Department. This includes ensuring the adequate management of financial and human resources in the Department and ensuring each Section operates smoothly with high standards of quality, and delivers timely outcomes.
As the line manager to the Heads of Sections and other team members, the Director of Computing provides guidance and support across the Department.
The key responsibilities include:
- Contributing strongly to ensuring the delivery of ECMWF’s overall strategy as a member of the senior management team at ECMWF
- Leading the Computing Department at ECMWF
- Building an excellent relationship with members of the ECMWF governing Council and other advisory committees
- Developing relationships with high performance computing centres and vendors
- Working in partnership with others and across ECMWF to deliver successful outcomes
- Ensuring the 365/24/7 provision of high-performance computing and related infrastructure such as data archival and network dissemination
- Leading the successful procurement and implementation of future-generation HPC capability, including data archival and dissemination
- Ensuring the physical infrastructure containing the HPC facility – the data centre – operates efficiently and effectively as part of ECMWF’s overall site
The successful candidate will be recruited at the A6 grade, according to the scales of the Co-ordinated Organisations and the annual basic salary starts at c£114k per annum net of tax. This position is assigned to the employment category STF-C as defined in the Staff Regulations.
Full details of salary scales and allowance are available on the ECMWF website at https://www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs/jobs-ecmwf including the Centre’s Staff Regulations regarding the terms and conditions of employment.
Starting date: 1 September 2018 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Length of contract: Five years for the initial contract, with the possibility of renewal.