Call for nominations: EMS Silver Medal 2024
The EMS invites EMS Member Societies, EMS Associate Members, EMS Committees and Project Teams, and EMS Council members to make nominations for the Silver Medal 2024.
Specifics for 2024
Submission of male nominees is invited for the 2024 EMS Silver Medal.
The EMS has decided on an alternating scheme for submissions: Nominations of female candidates are accepted in uneven years, nominations of male candidates in even years. Thus nominations of female candidates will be called for again for the EMS Silver Medal 2025.
Criteria used in the evaluation of the nominated candidates are given below.
All three are important in the evaluation process.
- Service to the European meteorological community (i.e. academic activity, leadership in relevant national and international organisations, serving as editor of relevant regular publications such as journals etc.)
- Outstanding contributions to increase and enhance the public understanding of relevant meteorological aspects and issues (i.e. communications on climate issues, publication of relevant books addressing wider circles of our society, activity on the media, organisation and steering of educational and training projects, etc.)
- Scientific contributions to meteorology and related fields (i.e. scientific achievements with international recognition, relevant publications, scientific leadership and management, etc.)
Nominations and Deadline
Nominations must be written in the English language and submitted electronically as pdf-file(s).
Any nomination has to include:
- A Curriculum Vitae of the nominee, including contact details.
Please restrict a publication list to two pages with the most relevant publications highlighted.
- A statement that explains the achievements and contributions of the nominee to the development of meteorology in Europe, addressing all three criteria detailed above.
- Two support letters by relevant experts in the field (more than 2 are not accepted), also addressing all three criteria.
- A proposal for a citation of 30 words or less (condensed summary of the achievements to be used for the the announcement of the recipient).
EMS Member Societies, EMS Associate Members, EMS Committees and Project Teams through their respective chairs, and EMS Council members are eligible to make nominations.
Please submit any nomination to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, 31 January 2024.
Forwarding of non-selected nominations
Nominations that are not selected for the Award can be forwarded once to be considered again for the award in the following year (i.e. for the Silver Medal 2025).
The EMS Silver Medal will be presented to the selected awardee during the EMS Annual Meeting in September 2024.