ECMWF, Shinfield Park, Reading, UK
Summary of the role
The Human Resources Section is part of the Administration Department. The HR function covers Recruitment and Selection, Compensation, Benefits and Payroll, Learning and Development and Talent Management. The Head of Human Resources is responsible for the development and implementation of the Human Resources (HR) Strategy, for the day-to-day running of the HR function in a multisite operation and for the provision of relevant data and information to support decision-making throughout the organisation.
The Head of Human Resources will work closely with ECMWF’s senior management team on HR issues, resource planning and recruitment strategies. The role calls for an HR professional that has successfully worked at both the operational and strategic levels. It requires someone who can balance the need for a hands-on approach with effective delegation to his or her team.
ECMWF is currently in the process of implementing an Enterprise Resource Planning System (ERP), and the selected candidate will play a key role in its further development which will include reviewing existing processes in relation to areas such as performance management, contract policy, learning and development to then review and amend the ECMWF Staff Regulations.
Main duties and key responsibilities
- Leading the ongoing development of ECMWF’s HR strategy, including the constant review and improvement of policies, processes and standards to ensure that the ECMWF attracts, retains and motivates its staff
- Managing the day-to-day HR function, including the planning and managing of HR annual budgets
- Ensuring that HR policies and procedures are aligned to and support ECMWF’s mission and strategy, in accordance with best practices in HR management and in line with ethical standards and legal requirements
- Leading the HR team, including line management and the ongoing development of the team’s skills and capabilities
- Providing advice and support on resource planning, recruitment and HR issues to all parts of the organisation, including the interpretation and application of policies, regulations and rules
- Presenting documents on HR aspects to ECMWF’s Committees
- Ensuring that ECMWF meets its HR obligations under its Convention, regulations and its Council’s decisions
- Managing the relationship with Member States’ authorities as applicable with respect to HR issues
- Representing ECMWF at the Coordinated Organisation’s activities
- Carrying out other relevant tasks and projects as required by the Director General
The successful candidate will be recruited at the A4 grade, according to the scales of the Co-ordinated Organisations and the annual basic salary will be £80,977.92 net of tax. This position is assigned to the employment category STF-C as defined in the Staff Regulations.
Full details of salary scales and allowances are available on the ECMWF website at www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs, including the Centre’s Staff Regulations regarding the terms and conditions of employment.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Length of contract: Four years, with the possibility of a further contract.