ECMWF, Shinfield Park, Reading, UK
Summary of the role
This is an exciting opportunity for a motivated individual to work at the forefront of numerical weather prediction (NWP) and this position sits in the System Design Team of the Integrated Forecast Systems Section, in the Research Department.
The successful candidate will join a small, established team of NWP and scientific computing experts, responsible for implementing ECMWF’s Integrated Forecasting System (IFS), a world-leading scalable and flexible numerical weather prediction model.
He or she will work to support the Senior Data Steward, a role dedicated to improving the processes and activities associated with the substantial amounts of data created within ECMWF. The primary responsibility of the person in this role will be to design, develop and maintain the necessary databases and software to enable the Senior Data Steward, and ECMWF users to have a clear oversight of their data, and to effectively manage its lifecycle. Additionally, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to contribute to other areas of software development in the section.
Main duties and key responsibilities
- Evaluating the requirements to allow the Senior Data Steward and ECMWF Users to successfully manage their data
- Designing and implementing the necessary databases
- Designing and implementing software to allow ECMWF Users and the Senior Data Steward to interact with these databases, and easily manage their data
- Providing maintenance and the necessary documentation for the databases and software
- Contributing to the development, and migration of tools and infrastructure for research scientists, for the new computer centre in Bologna
The successful candidate will be recruited at the A2 grade, according to the scales of the Co-ordinated Organisations and the annual basic salary will be £56,487.24 net of tax. This position is assigned to the employment category STF-PL as defined in the Staff Regulations.
Full details of salary scales and allowances are available on the ECMWF website at www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs, including the Centre’s Staff Regulations regarding the terms and conditions of employment.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Length of contract: To 31 December 2020.