The Outstanding Poster Award
The Outstanding Poster Award has been established in 2009, to highlight good quality posters presented at the EMS Annual Meetings. The posters are evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Scientific quality,
- Innovativeness of the approach,
- Potential impacts of the results,
- Visual aspects, attractiveness, and
- Clarity/fluency to have the message through to the readers.
The author(s) receive one registration fee waiver for the EMS Annual Meeting in the following year, and the posters are highlighted on the EMS website as example of Best Practice.
A selection committee of five senior scientists is established each year. The composition of these committees can be found using the links below.
Poster Award at EMS2017, Dublin
Ilari Lehtonen from the Finnish Meteorological Institute and his colleagues have been selected to receive the Outstanding Poster Award 2017 for their poster High-resolution projections for soil frost conditions in Finland with regard to timber harvesting and transport availability.
This poster shows a fantastic combination of a clear and concise message underpinned by sound science and good presentation. The impact of climate change on the soil and human activity is shown through an innovative approach. This highlights the importance of Earth system modelling and also adaptation that will be required due to climate change. This work is not only applicable to Finland, but more broadly to other parts of the world at similar latitudes, and contributes to the field of climate services.
Previous Poster Award Winners
- OPA winner EMS&ECAC 2016: Julie Berckmans, Alexandra-Jane Henrot, Ingrid Jacquemin and Rafiq Hamdi , Belgium, for their poster entitled: Sensitivity of the regional climate model ALARO-0 to land surface changes (Poster G13, abstract EMS2016-533).
- OPA winners at the EMS&ECAM 2009: