- Support excellence in young European scientists
- Support the participation in EMS sponsored conferences of outstanding students and young scientists
- Announcement of the EMS Silver Medal, the Young Scientist Award (YSA) and the Young Scientist Travel Awards (YSTAs)
- Selection process for the YSTAs and the YSA
- Evaluation of nominations for the Silver Medal and development of a recommendation to Council for a final decision.
- Announcement of the Media Awards in collaboration with the Media and Communication Team; specific selection committees for these awards are determined by the EMS Council on an annual basis.
Detailed descriptions of the awards, forthcoming announcements and information on earlier recipients are published under the Awards section.
The Committee members
The EMS Awards Committee consists of at least five senior scientists, working in Europe; they should either be a member of one of the EMS Member Societies or a member/staff of an EMS Associate Member. The membership of the Committee is approved by the EMS Council. The current members are:
- Guðrún Nína Petersen (FIV, Iceland) – Chair
- Mojca Dolinar (EARS, Slovenia)
- Jenni Rauhala (FMI, Finland)
- Fulvio Stel (UMFVG, Italy)
- Jean-Noël Thépaut (ECMWF)
- Carlos Yagüe (AME, Spain)
- Hilppa Gregow: Unit Head of Climate Service Centre of the FMI in Helsinki.
Committee member 2014, standing in for Jenni Rauhala
- Johannes Schmetz: Chief Scientist at EUMETSAT (until 2015)
Committee member 2008-2013, Chair 2011 – 2013
- Sarah Jones: Head of Business Area Research and Development, Germany
Committee member 2007-2012
- Hans Richner: ETH Zurich, SGM, Switzerland
Committee member 2002-2011
- Dario Giaiotti: ARPA-OSMER, Palmanova; Italy
Chair of the Committee 2007-2011
- The late Werner Wehry: Professor of FU Berlin, DMG, Germany
Chair of the Committee 2002-2007